12/05/2011

Never Going Back Again

Getting into old music is a funny thing for me. I was raised on the Beatles but besides that most music pre-my-birth never really did it for me until these last few months. I've been really getting into a good few Bob Dylan and Velvet Underground songs (they make up half of my cooking playlist). And just recently my roommate (and one of my best friends) Danielle was playing this album Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Even though we we're doing the I-pick-one-you-pick-one during a dining room homework session I didn't want her to turn it off.

To make the end of that long story short: after hearing the song "Never Going Back Again" something seriously clicked in me. I felt as though the guitar picking - incomprehensible yet beautiful - restored my faith in the human race. If man can make such beautiful music then what limits does he have? This is first time I've ever felt like I really want to learn how to play guitar. So far Kenny has me on a regiment of "Hapset" from his "Somnolent Split" to practice poly-rhythm and using more than just my thumb and index finger to pick (which is all I'm capable as of yet). If I can update this blog a year from now and say that I can play this song:



Then all is better than well and I'm probably never coming back again.

-greg

No comments:

Post a Comment